Sunday, February 24, 2008

BOOK REVIEW - Personal Notes: How to Write from the Heart for Any Occasion

Personal Notes: How to Write from the Heart for Any Occasion

Is this you?

"I'd love to write personal notes but I just can't get to them and when I do, I CAN'T THINK WHAT TO SAY !

If that's the case then READ ON....

I know the owner of a print shop. She tells me that she prints lots of personalized thank you notes. It's one of her most popular items. We all know the power of personal notes. Yes, we all do whether we send them out or not.

Think back to the last time you were sorting thru your pile of junk mail and nestled in the middle of the disarray of fliers, postcards, bills and circulars was a HAND ADDRESSES note or letter to YOU! Maybe it was your birthday or maybe it was just for no particular reason. You STOPPED with an internal dialog maybe something like mine when this happens. (this is all before I even open it.)

WOW! Look at this. Decent handwriting. Don't recognize it. Looks like a card of some kind. Wonder who it's from. No return address on the front. Oooh...>Heres one on the back. No name, just an address. 5656 Prarie Lane.... OKLAHOMA???? hmmmmmm. OK, let's check this out.

All that just for a quick note. Then you open it and IMMEDIATELY go straight to the END to see who signed. I guess that's why Paul and other New Testament writers put the "signature line" right up front. But I digress...

What an impact! And we know that these notes to our clients, friends and family have a powerful impact their lives, on our business , and on ourselves as we take the time to write them. Do you think they toss these notes with the rest of the JUNK MAIL... NO WAY. They keep them. Sometimes for years.

We all love to receive notes. Maybe you've received one when you needed some encouragement or you'd recently celebrated some milestone. Or maybe you received one from a salesman thanking you for your time. Wouldn't you be more likely to talk to him again. Maybe even send him a referral!

AH-hah... Now I've got your attention.

I've learned that notes are so much more than a TOOL TO GET REFERRALS (although it certainly is that) Notes will bless and enrich the lives of the recipients. They will be possibly that one bright spot in an otherwise ROTTEN DAY.

I've been using this book for about six months now.

The author, Sandra E Lamb offers a step by step process to learn to convey the real you in your notes. This process is so helpful when you know what you want to say in your heart but the words just don't come out for you.

This is extremely helpful for me when i need to write a note of condolence and encouragement for a lost loved one, lost job, or onset of serious illness.

I keep it next to my desk now and pull it whenever I have a little WRITERS BLOCK...

Check out the book description page at AMAZON.

Personal Notes: How to Write from the Heart for Any Occasion

1 comment:

Renne said...

Also check out "Fishing Lake Referral" by Michael Gall